Saturday, August 7, 2010

WEEKENDS ARE FOR FRIED EGGS

About two years ago I had my first fried egg and I was immediately sent into a panic realizing the time I have wasted resisting this wonderful culinary delight.  I am an egg white man, scrambled with some non-stick no calorie spray...you know healthy, but boy the fried egg, with the richness and creaminess of the yolk running through whatever it may be placed on top of, in my case, the first time I've had it was atop some duck fat frites...and I was changed forever.

Realizing how bad fried eggs can be for you, I reserve the weekends for one fried egg, usually over some toast, but today, we had some of the farm potatoes, green pepper and onion from the mixmash on Thursday...very delicious...perfect little Saturday breakfast treat...

Just a touch of butter in a cast iron skillet, let it get warm on medium heat for a couple minutes...drop egg into center of the pan and let it sizzle for a few minutes.  Once the edges turn a little darker take a thin flimsy spatula and work it under your egg to make sure it doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pan, taking care not to disturb the underside of the yolk...about 3 or 4 minutes should do...and finish with a touch of salt and pepper...


side bar:  instead of cracking the egg into
the pan risking the yolk breaking, crack into
a little bowl and slide it into the center of
the pan, giving plenty of room to work around
the white, and preserving the
creamy rich yolk

No comments:

Post a Comment